Chances for Students
The Leibniz Institute of Polymer Research Dresden offers excellent possibilities for Ph.D. and diploma students as well as for post-docs and undergraduate students/trainees at different stages of education.
Due to the close cooperation with the Technische Universität Dresden Ph.D. studies with final graduation (doctoral degree) can be undertaken. The research topics for Ph.D. and diploma students cover fundamental research in many aspects of macromolecular chemistry, polymer and surface characterization, theory of polymers, polymer modification, and polymer engineering. The topics are often very interdisciplinary with the big advantage that experts in the different fields work together under one roof. Modern laboratories and excellent state of the art equipment guarantee research possibilities of very high quality. The institute has a large number of co-operations with national and international research institutes, universities and companies with the profit of world wide contacts.
Tutors for PhD students are experienced scientists of the IPF. Supervisors are appointed professors at the Technische Universität Dresden:
- Prof. Dr. Brigitte Voit: Organic Chemistry of Polymers (School of Science, Faculty of Chemistry and Food Chemistry)
- Prof. Dr. Andreas Fery: Physical Chemistry of Polymeric Materials (School of Science, Faculty of Chemistry and Food Chemistry)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Markus Stommel: Polymer Materials (School of Engineering Sciences, Faculty of Mechanical Science and Engineering, Institute of Material Science)
- Prof. Dr. Carsten Werner: Biofunctional Polymer Materials (School of Science, Faculty of Chemistry and Food Chemistry)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Sven Wießner: Eelastomer Materials (School of Engineering Sciences, Faculty of Mechanical Science and Engineering, Institute of Material Science)
Interdisciplinary training and research opportunities for university graduates who wish to work towards a PhD:
Dresden International Graduate School for Biomedicine and Bioengineering, in co-operation with the Center for Regenerative Therapies
- International PhD Program for Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology
- International MD/PhD Program for Regenerative Medicine
- International PhD Program for Nanobiotechnology, Biophysics and Bioengineering
contact: Prof. Dr. Carsten Werner
The IPF is also part of the International Helmholtz Research School NanoNet, a PhD program established in 2012 to promote outstanding international young scientists in the field of molecular electronics.
Possibilities can be offered also to students and graduates of universities of applied Science (FH).
An IPF scientist is associate lecturer at the Brandenburg University of Technology Cottbus-Senftenberg:
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Udo Wagenknecht: Plastics processing (Faculty Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Energy Systems)
Lectures are given at the Hochschule für Technik and Wirtschaft Dresden. Outstanding FH graduates may also apply for PhD positions, admission depends on several different factors - please consult us if you consider to do your PhD as FH graduate.
At present alomost 100 students are working on their Ph.D. thesis at the IPF, among them quite a number of students from abroad. In addition, numerous undergraduates work towards their diploma or master degrees.
Are you a highly motivated chemist, chemical engineer or physicist and would you like to join this powerful group? Interesting topics are available permanently. Please check the job openings or contact the mentioned tutors directly.
- Aufgabenstellung für Großen Beleg/Diplomarbeit: Erweiterung des J-Integrals auf dissipatives Materialverhalten zur numerischen Beanspruchungsanalyse von Rissen in Elastomeren