FUNCTIONAL SUPRACOLLOIDAL ASSEMBLIES
From nanoparticles to functional supracolloidal structures and metasurfaces
What we do...
Metallic nanoparticles hold great potential for applications in sensing, energy materials, and catalysis due their plasmonic properties. We use polymers and polymeric surfaces to direct the assembly of these building blocks into supracolloidal structures and surface-arrays which give rise to emergent properties like high field enhancement, local plasmonic heating, enhanced hot electron injection or meta-material effects like giant circular dichroism or magnetic resonances. While proof of concept for such effects in nanostructured materials has already been established for some examples, we believe that establishing energy efficient and scalable approaches for their assembly is crucial for their technological relevance. Structuring of polymeric surfaces by controlled mechanical instabilities like wrinkling allows for the first time template assisted colloidal self-assembly on large areas.
- DFG SFB 1415: Chemistry of Synthetic Two-Dimensional Materials (2020-2024) (in collaboration with TU Dresden)
- DFG SPP 2100: Soft Material Robotic Systems (2019-2022) (in collaboration with Dr. Das, PB 3)
- DFG: The formation of wrinkles in anisotropic systems (2018-2021) (in collaboration with Prof. Sander, TU Dresden)
- DFG: Immobilization of ordered plasmonic nanostructures at surfaces of polymeric melts (2018-2021) (in collaboration with Dr. Nagel, PB 3)
- DFG: Shape-changing polymer micro-origami with fully reprogrammable spatio-temporal folding (2019 -2022) (in collaboration with Prof. Ionov, Uni Bayreuth)
- DFG: Dynamic surface coatings through the hierarchical self-assembly of responsive colloidal building blocks (2019-2022) (in collaboration with Prof. Schacher, Uni Jena)
- DFG: Plasmonic-Organic Microcavity Lasers (2021-2024) (in collaboration with Prof. Leo, IAPP)
- Sun, N.; Zhang, S.-T.; Simon, F.; Steiner, A. M.; Schubert, J.; Du, Y.; Qiao, Z.; Fery, A.; Lissel, F., Poly(3‐hexylthiophene) Functionalized with N‐Heterocyclic Carbene as Robust and Conductive Ligands to Stabilize Gold Nanoparticles. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2021, 60 (8), 3912-3917.
- Rossner, C.; Koenig, T. A. F.; Fery, A., Plasmonic properties of collidal assemblies. Advanced Optical Materials 2021, 2001869.
- Probst, P. T.; Mayer, M.; Gupta, V.; Steiner, A. M.; Zhou, Z.; Auernhammer, G. K.; König, T. A. F.; Fery, A., Mechano-tunable chiral metasurfaces via colloidal assembly. Nature Materials 2021.
- Steiner, A. M.; Mayer, M.; Schletz, D.; Wolf, D.; Formanek, P.; Huebner, R.; Dulle, M.; Foerster, S.; Koenig, T. A. F.; Fery, A., Silver Particles with Rhombicuboctahedral Shape and Effective Isotropic Interactions with Light. Chemistry of Materials 2019, 31 (8), 2822-2827.
- Mayer, M.; Potapov, P. L.; Pohl, D.; Steiner, A. M.; Schultz, J.; Rellinghaus, B.; Lubk, A.; König, T. A. F.; Fery, A., Direct Observation of Plasmon Band Formation and Delocalization in Long Regular Nanoparticle Chains. Nano Letters 2019, 19 (6), 3854-3862.