X-RAY PHOTOELECTRON SPECTROSCOPY
- Matthias Holzschuh
Surface spectroscopy serves to get information about the chemical nature of sample surfaces or surface near regions. For those a spectrometer working under ultra-high vacuum conditions is used. The X-ray photoelectron spectrometer allows analyzing the elemental surface composition quantitatively. Different binding states of the detected elements may be distinguished. Angle resolved photoelectron spectroscopy is a non-destructive method to investigate the distribution of elements or functional groups in the depth of the sample surface. Beside the spectroscopic information the X-ray photoelectron spectrometer provides the possibility to study the lateral distribution of elements on a sample surface on a micrometer scale.
The knowledge of the chemical surface composition and the kind of functional surface groups is the fundament to evaluate surface reactivity and apply chemical and physico-chemical methods to modify the solid surface.
Photoelectron spectrometer AXIS ULTRA (Kratos Analytical, UK) equipped with a X-ray source for non-monochromatic Mg K alpha X-ray irradiation and monochromized X-ray sources for A1 K alpha and Ag L alpha X-ray irradiation.
Samples on stages and under investigation can be heated (up to 600°C) or cooled (up to -195°C).
Further features are small-spot XPS analysis (smallest field of view 27 µm), imaging XPS (lateral resolution ca. 10 µm)
5 important publications
- Pleul, D., Simon, F., X-Ray photoelectron spectroscopy, in Polymer Surfaces and Interfaces – Characterization, Modification and Applications (Chapter 6), ed. by Stamm, M., Springer-Verlag GmbH, Heidelberg, 2008, 71-90.
- Pospiech, D., Jehnichen, D., Chunsod, P., Friedel, P., Simon, F., Grundke, K.: Structure-property relations in semifluorinated polymethacrylates, in Fluorinated Polymers – Synthesis, Properties, Processing and Simulation: Volume 1 – Synthesis (Chapter 10), ed. by Ameduri, B., Sawada, H., Royal Society of Chemistry, Oxfordshire (UK), 2016, 235-275.
- Rokosz, K., Simon, F., Hryniewicz, T., Rzadkiewicz, S., Surface and Interface Analysis 2015, 47, 87-92.
- Stepien, L., Roch, A., Schlaier, S., Dani, I., Kiriy, A., Simon, F., von Lukowicz, M., Leyens, C., Energy Harvesting and Systems 2016, 3, 101-112.
- Subair, R., Tripathi, B., Formanek, P., Simon, F., Uhlmann, P., Stamm, M., Chemical Engineering Journal 2016, 295, 358-369.