- Birgit Urban
- David Vehlow
In-situ attenuated total reflection Fourier transform infrared (ATR-FTIR) spectroscopy is a powerful tool to characterize polymer systems at the solid/liquid or solid/air interface on the molecular level. The technical measurement concept is based on a dedicated ATR mirror attachment operated by the single-beam-sample-reference (SBSR) concept including thermostatable liquid cells housing internal reflection elements (IRE) of materials with sufficiently high refractive index and IR transparency (e.g. Si, Ge, C, ZnSe, AgCl). Advantageously, ATR-FTIR spectra with appropriate background compensation, high signal to noise ratio, flat base lines can be recorded using unpolarized or P- and S-polarized IR light.
In the group various applications of in-situ-ATR-FTIR spectroscopy, especially for the characterization of polyelectrolyte, polypeptide and protein based films at planar inorganic substrates in the application field of life science have been demonstrated. General analytical options include
- Deposition and release of particles, proteins, polymers, drugs, ions (kinetics)
- Chemical composition (film, adsorbens)
- Conformation (e.g. protein secondary structure)
- Orientation (e.g. in-/out-of-plane) of anisotropic molecules (transition dipole moments)
- FTIR Spectrometers (Vertex 70, Tensor 27, Tensor II, Bruker-Optics GmbH, Ettlingen) equipped with globar source and MCT detector
- In-situ ATR-FTIR attachment operated by Single Beam Sample Reference (SBSR) concept (OptiSpec, Neerach CH); thermostatable dual channel liquid cells (M.M., IPF machine shop)
- UV VIS (J 650, JASCO, Groß-Umstadt)
- Circular Dichroism Spectrometer (J 810, JASCO)
- Particle Charge Detector (Mütek, BTG Measurements GmbH, Wessling)
- Dynamic Light Scattering (Jianke Instruments Co. Ltd, Wuhu, P.R. China)
- Scanning Force Microscopy (Nanostation II, Bruker Nano, Berlin)
- Dipping Robot (DR3, R&K, Berlin)
- Prof. Dr. D. Baurecht, Technical University of Vienna
5 most important publications
- Marsh, D., Müller, M., Schmitt, F.J., Biophys. Journal 2000, 78(5), 2499-2510.
- Müller, M, Keßler, B., Houbenov, N., Bohata, K, Pientka, Z., Brynda, E., Biomacromolecules 2006, 7(4), 1285-1294.
- Müller, M., Ouyang, W., Keßler, B., Spectrochim. Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy 2010, 77, 709-716.
- Müller, M.; Keßler, B. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2012, 66, 183-190.
- Müller, M.; Torger, B.; Bittrich, E.; Kaul, E.; Ionov, L., Uhlmann, P.; Stamm, M. Thin Solid Films, 556, 1-8 (2014)