In our group we are frequently employing new students in the area of our work. This includes master and diploma students educated in physics and chemistry doing their Ph.D. work, but also the master thesis can be performed in our group. So we currently are engaged in more than 30 projects and collaborations, which are funded from national and European sources as well as from industry.
In many cases the thesis work consists of a synthetic chemistry and a characterisation part, but also purely physical or physical chemistry themes are available.
The main topic concerns Physical Chemistry of Advanced Polymeric Materials which includes:
- functional thin films and surfaces
- self-assembly of nanostructures
- nanostructured bulk materials
The thesis typically will last for three years and is performed in collaboration with Technische Universität Dresden (Dresden University of Technology). In addition we collaborate with many national and international labs as well as industry, where students are also involved in joint work. As an example we are active in the European Network of Excellence NANOFUN POLY, where more than 25 European labs are involved and where extensive exchange of students takes place.
Some current topics of PhD thesis are:
- Functional Polymer Coatings for the Control of Ice Growth (development of coating which can reduce ice formation at the surface)
- Inversely Switching Functional Surfaces (water is repelled from the surface when humidity increases)
- Conducting Polymer Films for Photovoltaic Applications (generation of functional conducting layer for solar cell)
- Magnetic Nanohybrid Materials with Internal Order (dispersion and self-organisation of magnetic nanoparticles in polymer matrix)
- Single Molecule Based Nanodevices (transistor at nanoscopic scale made from functional single polymer molecule)
- Control and Switching of Adhesion and Friction by Polymer Layers (layers which can change their properties by external stimulation)
- Nanotubes from Curling Films (new technique for nanotube generation and application for liquid control / ink jet)
- Biofunctional Films with Switching Properties (control and understanding of polyelectrolyte and protein adsorption)
If you are interested in a Masters or PhD work please contact us directly and do not hesitate to send us your application including:
- publications (if available)
- some comments on previous work and future interests
- period of availability
- copy of previous examinations