The colonization of surfaces by microorganisms has severe negative impacts in medicine and industry as it reduces the lifetime and operation of devices, increasing operation and maintenance costs, and in the case of medical devices leading to human pain and suffering. The research of the antifouling biomimetic group is focused on the development of well-characterized biocide-free surfaces with antifouling properties. Artificial surfaces are designed using as inspiration the unique properties of biological systems, and also based on the understanding of the adhesion mechanism of target microorganisms. Considering that several surface properties and interfacial phenomena play a role in bioadhesion, the rational development of surfaces requires a detailed understanding of structure-properties relationships.
- Dr. Ana Cordeiro
- Ralf Helbig
- Tina Lenk
Fields of Research
- AMBIO – Advanced nanostructured surfaces for the control of biofouling (EU)
- Tasso, M.; Cordeiro, A. L.; Salchert, K.; Werner, C.
Covalent immobilization of subtilisin a onto thin films of maleic anhydride copolymers more
Macromolecular Bioscience 9 (2009) 922-929
- Tasso, M.; Pettitt, M. E.; Cordeiro, A. L.; Callow, M. E.; Callow, J. A.; Werner, C.
Antifouling potential of substilisin a immobilized onto maleic anhydride copolymer thin films more
Biofouling 25 (2009) 505-516
- Cordeiro, A. L.; Zimmermann, R.; Gramm, S.; Nitschke, M.; Janke, A.; Schäfer, N.; Grundke, K.; Werner, C.
Temperature dependent physicochemical properties of poly(N-isopropylacrylamide-co-N-(1-phenylethyl) acrylamide) thin films more
Soft Matter 5 (2009) 1367-1377
- Cordeiro, A. L.; Zschoche, St.; Janke, A.; Nitschke, M.; Werner, C.
Functionalization of poly(dimethylsiloxane) surfaces with maleic anhydride copolymer films more
Langmuir 25 (2009) 1509-1517
- Cordeiro, A. L.; Nitschke, M.; Janke, A.; Helbig, R.; D'Souza, F.; Donnelly, G. T.; Willemsen, P. R.; Werner, C.
Fluorination of poly(dimethylsiloxane) surfaces by low pressure CF4 plasma - physicochemical and antifouling properties more
eXPRESS Polymer Letters 3 (2009) 70-83